Ants can be a serious issue for property owners. These pests can easily find food and water sources because of their sharp sense of smell. Leaving some crumbs on the counter can cause ants to attack your space. Over time, you can have an infestation if you don’t clean food debris and spills on the floors and countertops. Ants can also raid your garbage.
Aside from being a nuisance, ants can also pose health risks. Once they get into packaged food, they can spread bacteria on kitchen surfaces. Contact a pest control company like Avata Pest Control as soon as possible to handle ants before they cause serious damage.
Why Ants Can Attack Your Kitchen
Ants are commonly found in the kitchen. To ensure their colony continuously strives and grows, ants look for food and water. Losing tiny crumbs after a meal or snack is unavoidable. You can always clean and sweep floors after each meal to avoid attracting ants. However, ants may still appear due to hidden sources of food. Ants can raid pet bowls.
In addition, ants are drawn to water sources. They can enter your house through the kitchen counter, under the skin, or leaking pipes in the dishwasher. Lastly, they can access your kitchen easily if food items are stored in unsealed boxes.
While DIY pest control measures can be taken to handle a pest issue, they are usually not a long-term solution. But pest control experts are familiar with ant behavior and how to eliminate them. These experts can also give you advice on what you can do to prevent future infestations.
Steps to Take to Prevent Ants from Entering Your House
Aside from hiring a pest control technician, below are steps you can take to protect your house against ants:
- Seal entry points. Ants can easily walk into your house when the doors are left open. However, they often come through tiny cracks around the door frame, windows, and foundation. Sealing up gaps and cracks can prevent ants from entering your house.
- Clean up thoroughly. Ants are tiny creatures. They can have a meal out of a crumb of food. To keep your home ant-free, take cleanliness seriously. Make it a habit to clean up all scraps after cooking or eating.
- Store food properly. To prevent ants from being drawn to your kitchen, store foods in airtight containers. Also, fruits and produce must be kept in the fridge or airtight containers. You also need these containers for storing pet food.
- Clean up outside. Debris in the yard can also make for ideal homes for ants. To ensure you don’t draw these pests closer to your house, clean up these debris. Also, trim back bushes and trees.
- Clean pet bowls. Ants can feast on your pet’s food and water bowls. Ensure you just feed your furry friends what they will consume. This way, you don’t leave out extra foods for ants to raid. After your pets feed themselves, clean the bowls right away. Ants do not need big crumbs to have a meal.